The few, and I mean very few, experiences I have had with sewing were a little disheartening. Even with the help and coaxing of family I always ended up being more intimidated then before. I had finally abandoned the idea that I would ever sew, and came to terms with having to pay 4 times as much for store bought stuff.
We left for Utah without another thought of sewing, but when I ended up spending a good amount of time with my husbands ex girlfriend I sought refuge where I least expected it. I found myself suddenly inspired to open up the pin cushion and play with the rotary cutter. I flipped through the pages of quilts and was amazed to find myself completely absorbed. With nothing better to say, I mentioned that I might be interested in learning how to quilt. Before I knew it I was walking through Walmart(the only store open on Sunday in Utah) and picking through the most annoying fabric I have ever seen. My feet were already wet and I wasn't backing out now. I found the least obnoxious patterns(minus the cow hide) and I was on my way. About 8 hours later with my Beginners Book of Quilting and my borrowed sewing machine I had made a quilt.
I've never been more proud of something so annoying!
Needless to say...I found the confidence I needed to sew. When we got home to Tucson Jer went out and bought be my very own sewing machine.....to be continued

2 comments:
Great Job! I am excited to see what you do. I got a book for Christmas that you might be interested in. It is called bend the rules sewing by amy carol. I mentioned it in my last blog entry. The projects are really easy and cute. What kind of machine did you end up with?
I am very proud of you! I have managed to finish like one or two of the sewing projects out of the 50 that I have bought supplies for. But, Nina helped me. :') Quilting is so insane to me. O.K. let's cut up a fabric into a million tiny pieces and then sew it back together again! I think pioneers were really bored. But, they didn't have t.v. I have to admit though, I do love the finished product! Especially, art quilts. I actually don't mind the whole cutting, sewing, it is the quilting/ binding that I have yet to embark upon. Maybe someday.
Post a Comment